Friday 11 March 2011

Plus-Sized Model Targeted by Sick Anti-Plus Size Groups


Stunning plus size model Louise O'Reilly is fast becoming one of Ireland's most in demand catwalk queens, and has even been scooped up by agencies in Milan and Munich, as well as being represented by leading agency Morgan in Dublin.

But the curvy cutie was targeted by 'anti-plus size' groups online, telling her to be "ashamed of herself" for "promoting obesity".

She explained: "I have a Facebook page, which is purely for my model contacts. Then I started to receive e-mails from an anti-plus size group, which I never knew existed".

"The comments weren't nice, and of course they did upset me, and I reported them to Facebook."

However, Louise is rising above the petty attacks, saying that she has received positive feedback from stylists and editors in the homegrown industry, and is looking forward to making her mark on the international scene.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger," she said. "It makes you feel like a bigger person in the long run, because you can't help the way some people think. I just feel sorry for them that they have nothing better to do than email me.

"It's just ridiculous and not realistic. At the time it was upsetting, but it's fizzled now. The feedback I've received in Ireland alone has all been so positive."

The blonde beauty will be spending her summer in New York, which has a more lucrative market for plus size models, and is in high demand for work throughout Europe.

The DCU student has now become a role model for women throughout the country, who are struggling with their own body image, and she said that she loves helping women of all sizes increase their confidence.

And she said that women throughout the world regularly contact her to ask for advice.

"That would be really nice, if I could possibly be a role model," she said. "It's nice to know that people can come to me, and know that I'm approachable enough to have a conversation.

"I'd like to make it a more positive shift in line with the American style of thinking, who are overly positive and think curves are brilliant.

"They have all these curvy magazines, and encourage female empowerment of any kind. We are still behind in the plus size modelling world, but hopefully these girls will associate with me until somebody comes along with something new."

No comments:

Post a Comment